Experience the breathtaking feeling of floating silently above the Outback as the sun slowly rises over the desert on this awe-inspiring ballooning adventure.
Journey to the launch site in the cool pre dawn darkness and begin the ascent just as the morning light begins to illuminate the rugged MacDonnell Ranges. Float gently across the vast expanse of the Central Australian outback – keeping an eye out for native wildlife including the iconic red kangaroo and gain an appreciation of the remoteness of the area as the balloon glides across the landscape.
After landing, you may become involved in assisting the crew as they pack the nylon balloon back in to its bag or may prefer to take photographs, the choice is yours.
At the ballooning landing site, there is time to enjoy the desert tranquillity as light refreshments accompanied by sparkling wine and tropical fruit juice are served. There is an opportunity to purchase ballooning souvenirs and a commemorative flight certificate is given to all participants.
Flight distance will typically be between 10 and 20 kilometres. The balloon flight takes place approximately 15 kilometres to the south of Alice Springs adjacent to the MacDonnell Ranges and over the historic Owen Springs Cattle Station.
Return transfers from all accommodation in Alice Springs is included with every flight. Pick up time is approximately 1 hour before first light – time will be given when booking and exact time will be confirmed when you re-confirm the day prior to flight booked. Transfers (at the end of tour) to the airport or other tours are available on request.
- 30 Minute Early Morning Balloon Flight
- Returned transfer from all accommodation in Alice Springs.
- Light refreshments – including sparkling wine and fruit juice.
- Mandatory Civil Aviation Authority Insurance – $30 per person. (Payable directly to operator on the morning of the flight)
Online Check-In and Reconfirmation
You will be required to online check-in the day prior to your balloon flight. For this reason, we require your mobile number and email address so that you can receive your reconfirmation text and an email containing your online check-in link and instructions.
What to wear & bring
- Outdoor clothing (preferably not white)
- Long pants
- Hat or cap are essential
After landing, Outback Ballooning has designed its program to allow you a unique opportunity to experience the Australian bush. Most of our landings are in the desert kilometres away from the nearest road. There is no traffic, no other people and no noise. The perfect place to enjoy a glass of sparkling Australian wine or fruit juice. Drinks are accompanied by a selection of slices, cookies, cheese & crackers and fresh fruit served in a sealed paper bag (subject to change) before re-boarding the bus to return to town.
Desert Balloon Chase
If you would like to come and watch their friends/family take a hot air balloon flight, then a balloon chase is for you!
We will pick you up with your group in the morning and travel to the launch site and watch as the balloon takes off. You will then travel through the desert tracks with our crew to where the balloon lands. Once you re-join your group, you can help pack up with balloon or take photos the choice is yours. You will enjoy a glass of sparkling wine or fruit juice with the light refreshments before returning to town. Must be booked in conjunction with at least 1 adult balloon flight. Children must be accompanied by an adult on the balloon chase. Request basis only as limited space available on each tour.
Number of Customers
Outback Ballooning has a large fleet of balloons suitable for 2-4 people, up to 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 people in one balloon depending on number of bookings on the day.
Physical fitness is not a requirement to enjoy a ballooning adventure, but passengers must be able to climb up and into the basket (approx. 1.2 metres in height). There are foot holes, which act like a ladder. Everyone must stand upright for the duration of the flight, as there are no seats in the basket, but there are secure high sides to lean on.
Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules and regulations and Outback Ballooning’s policy prevent us from flying women who are over 12 weeks pregnant. Pregnancy must be advised in advance.
Illness and/or recent operations that may affect the person or other persons on the tour must be notified to Outback Ballooning in advance. Medication should be brought on the tour.
The packing up tasks at the end of the flight are optional and we would appreciate your assistance in these enjoyable activities. However, they do involve some lifting and participation is entirely voluntary. Passengers that are less able bodied are invited to stand back and take photos. Persons with medical conditions participating in the balloon flight and pack up activities do so at their own risk.
Any form of disablement must be discussed with Outback Ballooning prior to making a booking. Each person is considered on an individual basis.
The flight and carriage of any passenger will take place at the pilot’s discretion.
Safety is our primary concern and if you are prevented from flying due to unsuitable weather conditions you may either rebook to another day or receive a full refund. The pilot’s decision with regard to safe flying conditions is final.
Where possible, the balloon flight should always be booked for the first available day in the area to allow for re-booking in case of bad weather.
Special terms & Conditions
- Warm clothing may be necessary from approx. May – Sept.
- Loose items such as dangling jewellery and scarves are not permitted once passengers reach the launch site and disembark from the bus.
- Pick-up time is approximately 1 hour before first light and please allow up to 4 hours for this tour.
- Child age is 6-16 years and must be accompanied by an adult. 3-5 years are not recommended but considered on an individual basis.
- Passengers who cancel within 24 hours of departure or do not show up in the morning for the transfer will be charged or not be given a refund if they have prepaid.
- Ballooning is an aviation related adventure activity and does contain an element of risk.
- Passengers must comply with instructions from the pilot and ground crew in accordance with Civil Aviation Rules & Regulations.
- Pregnant (over 12 weeks) not permitted to flight.
- The pilot’s decision with regard to safe flying conditions is final.
- There are restrictions in regards to people flying who are pregnant, have a disability and/or medical condition. Please enquire prior to making your booking.
Outback Ballooning Cancellation Policy
Customers will not be given a refund if they:
- Cancel their ballooning tour within 24 hours of departure
- “No show” on the morning of the tour
- Suffer “cold feet” on the launch field
No fee is charged for cancellations more than 24 hours before the flight.
Refunds are to be processed by the booking agency.
- Subject to availability – please note that we will send you the voucher or product within the indicated working day(s) after payment. If product is fully booked or sold out, full refund will be granted.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Guests must reconfirm their bookings at least 48 hours prior to their tour departing
- No refund, If you late or no show on the date of the scheduled departure or commencement time/date.
- If you cancel more than 10 calendar days prior to the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 6 and 9 calendar days prior to the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of the transaction total.
- If you cancel within 5 calendar days of the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 100% of the transaction total. These cancellation terms are subject to change without notice and can be dependent on the individual tour operator/supplier.
- Please Note: If mentioned above, the supplier’s cancellation policy will take precedence over Crazy Aussie Australia’s cancellation policy. Refer to Terms and Conditions for further information.